Bnai Zion Medical Center, Haifa
The Medical Center was originally established by Hadassah in 1922 with 36 beds, and with an expansion in 1942 it became known as the Rothschild Hospital.
Eventually with the financial support of Bnai Zion, the hospital was renamed the Bnai Zion Medical Center in 1988. The hospital has a long history of service to the people of Israel. In its early days it was known primarily as a facility for the treatment of children with developmental disorders. In 1948, during the War of Independence, it was the only medical facility in Haifa available to treat the wounded. It met a desperate, emergency situation head-on; injured soldiers and civilians were accommodated in tents and makeshift huts on hospital grounds and at the Technion.
In 1982, Bnai Zion Foundation presented an initial contribution to the hospital, which enabled the opening of its new emergency room, and it made the commitment to raise funds needed to complete the West Wing Project. In 1988, recognizing its $5 million contribution, and in honor of Bnai Zion's 80th anniversary, the hospital was renamed the Bnai Zion Medical Center.
The hospital is affiliated with the B. Rappaport Faculty of Medicine at the Technion (Israel's Institute of Technology) and serves as a teaching hospital for its students. Many of the hospital's department heads and senior physicians are on the faculty of the Technion and are associated with its varied and wide-ranging medical research activities.
|Bnai Zion Medical Center Main Page|
|Background & Project Mission|
|Community Served Over the Years|
|Bnai Zion's Impact|
|Awards & Accomplishments|