Bnai Zion has been uniting supporters of Israel for over 111 years with projects that have a lasting impact. Here are some examples of how we are building an enduring legacy for all of Israel.
2018 | Began construction on the therapy center at Ahava Village
Located in Kiryat Bialik, near Haifa. This residential center provides a home for 250 children high-risk backgrounds. The therapy center will provide an integrated center with all therapists under a single roof, allowing for a more structured and supportive environment to care for the specific needs of each child. See more about this project
2017 | Construction of The George and Irina Schaeffer Cultural Center
Bnai Zion raised money to construct a community center that provides a cultural, recreational, and employment venue for people with disabilities to help them to reach their fullest potential. The George and Irina Schaeffer Cultural Center offers a myriad of supports and opportunities to Israel Elwyn’s service recipients living in the Supported Living Services and in the general community alike. More on the cultural center
2016 | Construction of safe rooms for at risk children
Within the Ahava Village for troubled youth, Bnai Zion provided the financial support to build rooms that protect residents from rocket fire. Learn more about this project
2015 | Construction of Cultural Center at Ma’ale Adumim
Created by George and Irina Schaeffer, the new cultural center is an anchor for the arts within Ma’ale Adumim and the surrounding area. It gives a venue to local and student productions and attracts talent from across the country. Learn more about this project
2005 | Completion of Chais Building for child development
The Child Development Center at Bnai Zion Medical Center is now recognized as the region’s leading center for diagnosis and treatment of young children who have neurological-developmental challenges.
2003 | Support of The David Yellin College of Education
Bnai Zion provided support to the teacher's college, which trains secular and religious Jews, Muslim and Christian Arabs, and immigrants.
1997 | Groundbreaking for Library of Peace
Bnai Zion committed to the construction of the library, which has been completed, dedicated, and is now being used by the entire Ma’ale Adumim region. See the latest on this project
1988 | Bnai Zion Medical Center naming
The Rothschild Hospital in Haifa was renamed the Bnai Zion Medical Center when Bnai Zion committed to complete a new 11-story west wing and modernize the hospital's facilities to provide proper medical care for the population of northern Israel.
1983 | Senator Joseph Biden accepts America-Israel Friendship Award for Senator Alan Cranston.
Senator Joe Biden accepts the America-Israel Friendship Award on behalf of Senator Alan Cranston. Senator Cranston received the award for his support of resolutions supporting Jewish emigration from Syria and Ethiopia. Rabbi Joseph Stern received Harris J. Levine Award. Moshe Arens, Israeli Defense Minister, was guest speaker at the dinner.
1980 | NY Governor Hugh Carey and Senator Henry Jackson honored of Beit Halochem
Senator Henry “Scoop” Jackson, a long-time supporter of Israel in his 43 years in Congress and on the Armed Services Committee, was honored at the Bnai Zion Foundation dinner. NY Governor Hugh Carey, was honored alongside of Senator Jackson, receiving the America-Israel Friendship Medal. Governor Carey began his life-long support of Israel during WWII, when, as a soldier, he helped liberate the Norhausen concentration camp.
1978 | Beit Halochem rehabilitation facility opened in Haifa
Beit Halochem, a Bnai Zion funded rehabilitation facility, opened in Haifa. That facility has since been remodeled and continues to serve over 2,500 disabled veterans on a regular basis.
1978 | Elie Wiesel honored by Bnai Zion Foundation
The America-Israel Friendship medal was awarded to Elie Wiesel by Bnai Zion Foundation.
1974 | Bnai Zion Foundation honors President Gerald R. Ford
President Gerald R. Ford, then Vice-President, was the recipient of the America-Israel Friendship Gold Medal at the Annual Award Dinner in February.
1973 | Major fundraising at dinner honoring Vice-President Hubert H. Humphrey
The annual Bnai Zion Award Dinner in February, honoring Vice-President Hubert H. Humphrey, yielded more than $407,000 to finance the projects of the Bnai Zion Foundation.
1972 | Founding of America-Israel Friendship House
Bnai Zion Foundation purchased a building in NYC and established a cultural and information center aimed at strengthening the ties of friendship between the people of both countries.
1971 | Construction of Beit Halochem
Bnai Zion donated the funds and broke ground on the building of the distinguished Beit Halochem rehabilitation facility in Haifa. That facility has since been remodeled, and continues to serve over 2,500 disabled veterans on a regular basis.
1968 | Bnai Zion Foundation honors Thurgood Marshall
In the furtherance of the principle of Americanism, in 1968 the Bill of Rights Gold Medal was awarded to U.S. Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall.
1966 | Dedicating forest to John F. Kennedy
In remembrance of President John F. Kennedy, the Order Day Dinner dedicated the Kennedy Forest and honored Carl Albert, Speaker of the House of Representatives.
1960 | JFK recognizes Bnai Zion Foundation for its nonpartisan work
On June 4, 1960, as part of its Declaration of Principles, Bnai Zion Foundation restated its position as a nonpolitical body, rededicating itself to the principles of of Americanism, Zionism, and fraternalism. This nonpolitical stance of Bnai Zion was noted by President John F. Kennedy in a message when the America-Israel Friendship Medal was presented to Vice-President Lyndon Johnson on February 5, 1961: “As a nonpolitical organization, affiliated with no political group in our own country or in Israel, you have welcomed to your ranks members of all shades of opinion, united under American ideals. At the same time, you have adhered to the Jewish tradition calling for the re-establishment of the State of Israel, and since that historic event you have given material assistance to its rebuilding”.
1949 | Establishment of Ein Hod
Bnai Zion Foundation helped found Ein Hod, a celebrated artists’ village near Haifa. Today, this village is recognized throughout the world for its inhabitants’ artistic talents and for the operation of its prestigious school.
1947 | Kfar Bnai Zion founded home for Holocaust survivors
Bnai Zion opens a home to house Holocaust survivors in Israel, just before the UN resolution establishing the state of Israel.
1944 | Bnai Zion Women’s Council founded
Dorothy S. Levine lead the founding of Bnai Zion’s Women’s Council. Later it was renamed the Women’s League. Ms. Levine and the women raised vast sums of money over the course of the next couple of decades.
1941 | Founding of Magen David Adom
Leaders of Bnai Zion helped found Israel’s equivalent of the Red Cross. Millions of medical supplies and 125 ambulances were donated. Bnai Zion Foundation was instrumental in establishing the “American Red Magen David for Palestine,” a major source of funds for the new Magen David Adom. Between 1941-1949, the organization donated millions of dollars’ worth of equipment and over 100 ambulances. Today, Magen David Adom is Israel’s national ambulance service.
1939 | Supporting WWII efforts
Between 1939 and 1945, Bnai Zion provided aid in myriad ways; in one week alone, 450 members each donated a pint of blood to the Red Cross for servicemen.
1910 | Bnai Zion begins to offer insurance
New York State Insurance Department grants an official charter to Bnai Zion to offer insurance products to its members.
1908 | Order of the Sons of Zion founded
The Order of the Sons of Zion, now known as Bnai Zion Founation, was founded. Its major objectives were to aid in the support of all Jewish institutions that strengthen Jewish peoplehood; to spread the knowledge and study of the Hebrew language and Jewish history; to provide life insurance to members of the Order from $100 to $2,000; and to aid every member of the Order in case of need or sickness.